Plastic surgeons are seeing the devastating consequences when farmers vaccinating livestock miss the animal and accidentally inject themselves.
It has prompted Tasmanian surgeon, Gary Kode to call for animal health companies to fund research into the best treatment to minimise the pain, lost time, and multiple operations some patients endure before they are referred to him.
Mr Kode said certain veterinary products not only produced a response in livestock, but were toxic to people as well.
Media player: “Space” to play, “M” to mute, “left” and “right” to seek.
“I’m not sure how safe they really are,” Mr Kode said.
“It’s the ones with mineral oil and the paratuberculosis mycobacterium that’s really, really irritating to tissue and that causes a lot of trouble.
“They potentiate one another and really irritate tissue.
“I’ve certainly seen somebody else’s slides of a bull with a huge granuloma on his neck and it was about the size of an orange.”
Mr Kode said while he didn’t know what animals really went through, he questioned some the information available for treatment of accidental injection wounds.
He said farmers and their workers usually needed surgery similar to skin cancer removals because of the toxic effect of certain livestock vaccines.
Mr Kode said research was needed to establish the best treatment practices for people who accidentally injected themselves when vaccinating livestock.
“I would have thought the drug companies would have an interest in a bit of back up on their product,” he said.
“Your users would feel you had their interests at heart, as well as the animals on which it is being used.
“If it got injected accidentally, you’d want to be giving the correct advice,” Dr Kode said.